Date:
Thu, 4 May 2017 10:19:19 -0400
First, thank you Aaron.

Science. That word has been dissected a bit recently. And I would like to
postulate that this list is probably one of the best venues for good
science around.

Take any issue with honeybees.

There is a study that says something and it is posted on the list. It is
read by a few and commented on which leads to others getting to the source
or original paper and commenting on that. Discussion results (true peer
review since we are all beekeepers and many share the writer's scientific
discipline).

A position is established.that may be shared or not. Follow up papers come
out and they are analyzed  against the first paper. Peter then quotes a
load (scientific term for lots) of papers associated with the topic. More
discussion ensues.

Eventually, after many iterations of the same, conclusions result which may
or may not confirm the first paper.

It all happened because a large number of people, both formally and
informally educated are able to discuss issues freely (with occasional ad
hominen attacks) and arrive at a generally shared position (note the
"generally"). What is true, even if the position is not shared, is that
false papers are found out. I have been corrected many times. That is
education.

We certainly do not have a herd mentality which is found too often in
science.Just look at history.

The final result is that we arrive a a point that is not the end but a
place on the journey from which we can either continue or find it is
actually a dead end.

That is great science and why I love this list.

Now a little off topic. I appreciate good science and dislike those who
have to add their degree to their pronouncements. I see many good
scientists here on this list (mostly applied) and good intellects who might
or might not have a degree. When I was nearing the end of my Master's
studies I was asked if I wanted to continue to a phd. I declined since it
would have interfered with my Navy career rather than help it. A bit later
I attended a Symposium on my discipline and sent in LCdr Bill Truesdell for
my name tag. The people who looked at the LCdr obviously wondered just what
that meant, but the Dr was obvious, so for the whole Symposium I was Dr
Truesdell and every word i spoke carried the weight of that degree. So I
have never been impressed by degrees or titles.

BTW, Randy puts me to shame in the chemistry department mostly because
after I got my Master's I never used it again other that to make up (from
locally obtained chemicals) an outstanding 4th of July backyard pyrotechnic
extravaganza for my three boys.

After I retired from the Navy, I attended a local School Board meeting
because we beekeepers needed to use the High School for our meetings. I
heard more intelligent discussion there than I did at many meetings in the
Navy where I was surrounded by my fellow titled associates.Titles mean
nothing other than shields to hide behind, especially in science and too
often in other fields.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine