From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 08:50:18 -0400
JOHN BACHMAN wrote:
Does any one a have system they use to do an overall evaluation of  a
hive?

    First you should determine which traits you think important to select
for. Start small. You can't select for every trait under the sun. I keep
records on honey production, wintering ability, disease resistance,
temper. These records should be gleaned over a number of years. Without
doing so will increase the guesswork involved.
    Honey production is self explanatory. I determine wintering ability
when I reverse on the dandelion flow. I count the number of frames of
brood, and write that number on the back of the hive. That number becomes
a good reference point when examining the colony for the rest of the year.
It also is an indicator for Tracheal mite resistance. For disease
resistance, I mostly look for chalkbrood. Any at all eliminates that
colony. I work without gloves, and often veil. Mean hives are quickly
identified.
    Once a group of queens have been selected for these traits, you can
look at others within that group. These could include cleanliness, pollen
gathering, calmness on the combs, etc.

                                                                    Mike