From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 22:22:12 -0500
Hello All,
The May issue of Bee Culture came today. Two  particular articles caught my
attention. The monthly column by Steve Sheppard  is about N. ceranae. I
always read Steve's column with great interest. After doing the research you
can feel the concern for beekeeping as Steve writes. Steve does an excellent
job as usual and his facts are correct however the article is like "n.
ceranae 101".

A real fight is going on right now to control N. ceranae around the world. I
am
as serious as a heart attack. Control is not easy and your bees can look
normal and be about to crash.

A couple quotes from Staves column:
"  Paxton (et. al.2007) point out that because the host -shift may have been
quite recent , the rate of spread of n. ceranae worldwide was much more
rapid
than that of varroa destructor"

Steve quote from end of column:
"as we come to recognize N. ceranae to be a major new pathogen of A.
melifera , with the potential to impact beekeeping in ways which could rival
or surpass varroa destructor "

Also in the issue Clarence Collison takes "A Closer Look" at deformed wing
virus. We are seeing DWV in hives with low varroa loads, In his article
Collison explains why.

I admit everything in both articles I was aware of but all beekeepers need
to be aware of the pathogen. The reason I bring to the lists
attention. Honey B Healthy, small cell and beekeeping without treatments are
not going to control N. ceranae.

All U.S. beekeepers need to subscribe to both U.S. bee magazines.

bob