From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:02:11 -0400
Bill said:

> I have a friend who gets honey from me every
> season for allergies, even though I tell them
> it really does not work (certainly does not on me).
> They think it does and that is enough for them.

It really is worse than that.

Allergy sufferers are plagued by WINDBLOWN pollen.
Bees collect the NON-windblown pollen for the most
part.  Why?  The windblown stuff must merely be
lightweight, and need not be "high protein" or
attractive to bees at all.

So, while there may be small amounts of windblown
pollen in "local honey", the bulk of the pollen one
finds in local honey is non-windblown pollen, highly
unlikely to ever be inhaled.

Regardless, the power of the placebo effect is
significant enough that it rivals many of the
drugs being sold on TV these days, and one thing
I can be sure about honey is that it has no side
effects at all, does not cause drowsiness, etc.

So, I let the cusomer lecture me on the health
advantages, and become an interested student.