Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:52:40 -0600
From a recent experience moving a small hive of bumble bees we should all be a
bit wary in the move of such giant stinging insects.  Bumble bees don't waste
time bouncing off your face mask, nor do they warn you away by noisily buzzing
their wings.  Don't count on the scent of perspiration or dark coloring to
draw away their attention.  They see skin and sting - without hesitation.

Two weeks ago I was called to pick up a hive and wore shorts because "Bumble
bees are too big and sluggish to cause concern".  Big mistake.  My trusty
beevac only helped with the scrambling bees inside the nest.  One newly
arriving bee took a look at her missing hive and made a bee-line for my legs.
We sort of did a bee-tango of sorts lasting several minutes, much to the
pleasure of the homeowners looking out their screened window.  Me with my
beevac hose pointed in the direction of my partner, the bee, sizing up my legs
from different angles and ever evasive of the vacuum and graceful in flight
despite her "clumsy size".  The bumble bee eventually lost her 'lead' in that
dance and was scooped by my gloved hand while she veered from the vacuum tip.

The second occasion the bumblebees had "a go at me" was in placing the hive.
Feeling smarter I was confident those bees would be held at bay by an old pair
of Levi's.  I was greatly disappointed 2 seconds after I opened the box when a
bee found the hole in my pants; This hole was completely forgotten right up
until the moment of impact.  This wasn't a sting like any other.  In all my
involvement with honeybees pulling out incredibly mean feral hives I can't
remember an occasion that caused me to actually 'yelp'.  When she stung me it
was if another person wore my body, both reaching back and grabbing their butt
in exclamation - and letting out an audible "yelp! - much like you'd see in
the sunday comics.  Only to realize seconds later that it WAS me in this funny
predicament and better yet, the bees flying around weren't satisfied.  Running
was a good idea, but the ever bee-conscious manager realized their hive was
exposed.  Dropping a cover of woodware ontop, my exit was expeditious all the
while holding the rip in my levis.  Next time I'll take someone to film the
event.

               Matthew Westall
     //        Earthling Bees
 >8(())))-     "Take me to your feeder"