From:
Ahlert Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:27:39 +0200
Hi!
The ongoing discussion of cell size for bees build by themselves
without wax foundation has been discussed on beeL during the last
weeks with saying that only 4.9 mm is the natural cell size.
I would like to add to that a notion of cell size measurements from
21 swarms without support from a foundation. It was found that the mean
of 697 measurements was 5.42 mm, but there was a variety in cell
diameters which was not idetntical from one hive to another and it was
evidnet as well that the variation within the hives having only natural
comb was around 0.3 mm.
You can find this paper (in german) with the title: Sind "Naturzellen"
größer? by T. Radetzki  in: Imkerfreund 2005 (9) page 8 to 9.

I hope that such data help to clarify the question of a natural cell
size at least in Germany.

respectfully submitted

Ahlert