From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:31:09 EDT
Dave said:

<The numbers of viruses involved are considered too expensive to  investigate
all at once.>

Not necessarily.  True if you use multiple PCR primers.  When  they become
available, tools like microarrays will be able to look at all known  viruses at
once for about $100 or less.

But, we don't have to wait.  There are tools that can do all viruses,
bacteria, fungi, etc. at once.  Costs about $250 per sample, so its not  cheap,  but
its not so expensive if you consider the information  produced per sample.

And, another tool, IVDS, gives us a way at looking at all viruses at once
for reasonable costs, relatively inexpensive.

I assume by synthetic data, you mean some form of modeling.  Well and  fine,
but I expect that by Christmas, we will release a database that can  be mined,
using actual data on all known viruses and other pathogens in bee  samples
from across the U.S.

We'll show some of this today at MT beekeepers, more at the Research
Luncheon of CA beekeepers, and again at the AHPA.  Haven't an invite yet  from ABF
:-).

Jerry

**************BUY Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on DVD
today!