From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 22:20:26 -0500
Peter said:
> I think the idea that Asian bees can remove mites through the hole in the
> capping is wrong. The reason for the hole is not clear, but they certainly
> can't gain access to mites through it.

Maybe I can change your mind?

The best research on cerana available to beekeepers is the book "Asian
Apiculture" edited by Dr. Conner, Thomas Rinderer, H.Allen Sylvester *
Siriwat Wongsiri. Copy date 1993. The book spends chapters on cerana and
indicates the hole is indeed for the removal of varroa mites. The mites hide
in the royal jelly before the cell is sealed but move up in the cell and can
be removed through the hole as the hole can be quickly enlarged and closed
as needed.

What other possible reason for the hole is there?

The book has more ceranae information than the dated book by Morse (1982) or
the book "Mites of the honey bee" by Delaplane.

The following posted by Peter ( 2008 research by Harris)supports the
hypothesis cerana do remove mites through the hole. Dr. Harris writes
*occasionally* but other researchers believe the hole is for the sole
purpose of inspection for varroa and removal if need be.

> Occasionally, workers of A. cerana remove mite-infested pupae from capped
> drone brood, but more often they plug the pore of the drone cap as a
> defense against varroa mites and other diseases of drone brood.

>Drone caps of A. mellifera do not have central pores and are softer than
>those of A. cerana, which makes them more vulnerable to hygienic
>inspections by worker bees.

 Another reason why mellifera are not likely to adopt the hole method.

>Effect of Brood Type on Varroa-Sensitive Hygiene by Worker Honey Bees
>(Hymenoptera: Apidae)
Jeffrey W. Harris
Annals of the Entomological Society of America Nov 2008

            bob