Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 19:04:29 GMT
Andy Nachbaur said recently:

 Or
> maybe we are suffering from the lack of communication between
> beekeepers. I would like to hear more on what is going on with varroa
> in Eastern Europe, and South America, as to losses, and treatments or
> no treatments.

In 1993 IBRA organized a workshop in the Czech Republic for scientists from
European Union countries working on varroa as well as those from eastern and
central European countries.  The papers presented were published last year as
 'New perspectives on varroa' (164 pages), and there are accounts of varroa
research and control programmes from Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Bulgaria,
Czech Republic and Hungary, as well as EU countries.

It's available from ibra ([log in to unmask]) for 26 dollars including
postage.

In general the approach has been towards widespread use of chemicals, though
the Czech Republic has an interesting story to tell about the benefits of
organized control measures.

Andrew

* From Andrew Matheson, Director, International Bee Research Association *
* E.mail (home):   [log in to unmask]                             *
*        (office): [log in to unmask]                                    *
* IBRA, 18 North Road, Cardiff CF1 3DY, UK                               *
* Fax (+44) 1222-665522     Telephone (+44) 1222-372409                  *