From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:22:39 -0500
  ...WHO's report suggests that people can reduce their susceptibility
  to obesity, diabetes and some heart problems by curbing the amount of
  sugar they consume.

Can we really argue that the above is not true? Big sugar will!

 As with cigarettes many people will not even consider changing their habits
until they see a published report saying  what most already secretly know is
true before changing their habits. i am not picking on the cigarette smokers
but pointing out a class action law suit against big sugar could happen in
the next fifty years.

I wrote a interesting article about refinned white sugar and health awhile
back but the editor and I thought although the article had merit it was
still too controversal a subject so we tabled the article.

One reason was that if Jim Fischer decided to take the sugar industry
position and say there is no concrete proof (other than tens of thousands of
case histories as with tobacco) he would be right (a fact the sugar industry
relies on as did big tobacco).

*However* in a court of law with a jury trial big sugar might  down the road
be in trouble and go down the same class action lawsuit road as big tobacco.

Should a small warning be placed on a candy bar?  I believe a warning might
be helpful for a certain segment of the population. Most people would be
amazed at the number of people which never read a newspaper, magazine or
watch a news program. How will these people ever become informed on health
issues?

"In 1929 , Dr. F. G. Banting ,the discoverer on INSULIN, delivered a
forthright warning on the subject refinned sugar, saying , "In the U.S. the
incidence of diabetes has increased proportionately with the per capita
consumption of cane sugar."

Sadly none can say that Dr. Bantings prediction has not came to pass as
diabetes reaches epidimc porportions in the U.S. with people losing vision ,
use of limbs and death.

Bob