From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:34:27 -0600
Can they not also build various-sized worker cells as
> they see  fit?

All foundation is is simply a pattern. I used to keep a plasticell worker
brood frame in my office which was drawn drone cells on both sides ( over
the worker cell pattern). The only frame I ever looked at in which the bees
*completely* disregarded the pattern.

If you look in one of my hives you will most likely see around 10% of the
cells drone and all are made over a worker cell plastic foundation pattern.

I have to scrape down frames with too much ( in my opinion) drone comb all
the time. All done on plastic worker foundation.

I care less what the *experts* say about the amount of drone comb the bees
need to be *happy* bees. I try to keep 10% and under drone comb in the hive.
Dee Lusby has said on BEE-L before she tries to keep drone cells 10% and
under .

I also dislike  plastic frames for a couple of reasons which do not apply to
the hobby beekeeper. I use wood with a plastic insert.

The last time I bought a load of used brood boxes I told the Hispanics to
cull all plastic frames but they did not cull every one ( worked for the
seller) so it took me awhile to cull and remove from the operation. I really
dislike a hive with a mix of wood and plastic frames.

bob