From:
Kevin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:31:36 -0600
>>I assume the bees feed her, as they feed each other. But I have not actually observed it, since I usually wouldn't check on virgins after introduction until I thought they were mated and laying (best not to mess with them). Anyone else seen this?

Thanks Peter and that would be my assumption as well.

I have only a one experience with introducing a virgin.  I didn’t use a cage, but rather placed her on a frame of open feed.  She instantly starting to eat and within seconds a couple of workers came over to check her out.  She became submissive.  After a moment the workers went on their way and she returned to feeding.  In the end she got mated and all went well with the colony.

I’ll be using an incubator for the first time this year and was thinking about directly introducing virgins in this way after marking them.  Your post has me thinking perhaps it would be safer to use a cage.  I’m open to comments from others on the list who may have a preferred method for introducing virgins.