From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:58:46 -0600
> Think sugar cube, or a bag of sugar the got wet and turned into a lump.

You can make a hard sugar like above but not quite like a candy board.
I have a friend in Nebraska which makes up a couple thousand candy boards a
season. He made a machine which cooks the sugar ( three barrels dry sugar at
a mix) and then he fills the boards
similar to bottling.

Candy boards do not break apart and go candy side down over the brood nest.

I have simply filled a feeder with granulated sugar and poured water on so
the bees work is easier and put newspaper on top of the nest and poured the
sugar directly around a hole in the paper (and added water).
These are last ditch efforts to save a starving hive.

 boards when used in areas of hard winter usually need to be candy boards.
My
friend Bobby Whirlycamp uses on all his hives (and I suspect his father
before Bobby and his son will after Bobby).

He gathers the candy boards in spring and stores (with remaining candy)
until the next fall. He simply adds to the candy board . Strong hives can go
through several boards but are hive life savors when yards are not easy to
get in.

Surely Canada beekeepers on the list still use a few candy boards when
needed?

bob

.