From:
Myrl Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2015 12:38:55 -0500
Having completed the Journeyman level, I must echo Scott Wilson's post. The UM program is an exercise in critical thinking, careful evaluation of topics presented, reaching conclusions, and committing one's thoughts to paper or forum text.
I do remember a statement which Jerry made early in the program, I will paraphrase - "This coarse will be taught at a post grad level, all participants will be expected to hold to these standards in forum participation, critical thinking, written submissions, and ....."  Another recollection - quoting and referencing another work or paper will garner few points, "  I know what others think, I want to know what you think."  The coarse was an enjoyable challenging journey.

Given my geographic location the EAS program would have been a logical choice. After carefully reviewing the various programs offered, it became obvious that the UM offering was a best fit to my needs. I began beekeeping in 1965 and presently run 50 colonies, honey, raise queens, splits, nucs, the normal. It did seem pointless spending time proving that I knew how to light a smoker, manipulate a hive, manage a hive, and present to the public. The UM program offered an organized venture into the finer points of beekeeping; a prompt to look at things from a different angle, to open ones mind. The point being each potential candidate should seek a program which best fits their needs.

I believe each Master program will eventually earn its 'street value' for better or worse. I can envision the UM program becoming a benchmark in the commercial world.