From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 22:43:15 -0700
Brian B. Bonner wrote:

> I am new here and want to raise Bee's, but frankly I am worried about
> being stung. How do you mess with bees and not get stung?

Well, theoretically all that equipment you wear is supposed to keep you
from getting stung.  I have a couple of kids in my 4-H project that
could just about handle toxic waste in the protective gear they wear.
And neither of them has been stung in a year and a half.  But I
personally think stings are over-rated.  They hurt like crazy for a few
minutes, but I'd rather get a few stings occasionally than to put up
with the heat in that suit and gloves.  And besides, I've been stung
with the equipment on.

Over time you learn to read the mood of the bees and dress accordingly.
Sometimes I stop in the middle of what I'm doing to put on more gear
based on the clues I pick up while working a hive.

I seriously doubt that you could keep bees for too long without coming
to a balanced point of view about stings. I suggest you start with the
'toxic waste suit' and learn to read the bees. Over time you may find
that you are less worried.

Michael Reddell
http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr