From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 12:27:28 -0700
Since this all started years ago on BEE-L, and the discussion here resulted
in widespread efforts to develop better bee diets, improvements in delivery
of existing diets, the establishment of a company that does nothing but
manufacture patties for bees, and consequent improvements in the design of
the patties themselves, along with a significant and continuing reduction in
patty prices to beekeepers, and I was corresponding with several people
about freshness, I thought it appropriate to copy some of that (edited) to
the list.

To provide some background, first I should mention that the Southern Alberta
Beekeepers (an informal group of friends, mostly with large beekeeping
operations) have a history of not waiting for government or the other guy to
tackle problems, but rather of reaching into their own pockets to fund
down-to-earth co-operative research into matters of immediate interest.  It
is a matter of pride to be leaders, not followers.

A few years back, the Southern Alberta Beekeepers started a project to
evaluate the effectiveness of feeding protein supplements in real-world
conditions. We have had the good fortune to have Medhat working for Alberta
Agriculture, and the support of the seed companies who hire pollination, as
well as assistance from Global Patties.   Medhat took the job on and, with
the co-operation and contributions from beekeepers proved that
supplementation with simple bee diets works.  We had been wondering if we
were wasting our time and money, but the benefits of simple diets was
proven, quantified to an extent, and some additional discoveries made.

In the process or making enquiries around the continent, when we were
stating up the project, we stimulated interest in diets in a number of
parties, one of which came up with a secret formula and is currently
marketing an upscale product that claims to be the bee-all and end-all, and
vastly superior to anything else.  We have had samples of that product from
the beginning and found significant problems with the earlier versions, but,
since these studies, done right, take a year or years, cannot comment on the
current version being sold, other than it is relatively costly and has not
proven -- to this point, in our tests -- measurably better than
BeePro/sugar, or yeast/soy/sugar combinations with or without added pollen.

Recently, since Global got involved and reinvented the pollen patty with a
rectangular shape, paper top and bottom for easy, mess-free handling, and
holes for bee access, Mann Lake has followed Mike's design improvement,
added pollen to their BeePro patties and also dropped their prices.  This
advance, along with the availability of Global's high quality, low cost
products which are available as either stock formulas as tested by Medhat,
or custom-made to the buyer's specifications and made up using any of the
popular bee feeds (including BeePro) has been a big benefit to the industry.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do consulting for Global, and they are
good friends.  I'm not associated with Mann Lake, but have a good opinion of
them and their products.

    *    *    *
> From: Medhat Nasr
> To: allen dick
> Subject: Re: Yeast for Bee Feed, etc.
>
> Just a quick note. You need to store the yeast or pollen in freezer to
> maintain the nutritional value. I recall that first year we did test diets
> in Alberta. I found one diet was not doing any good. After talking to the
> beekeeper I found that yeast was stored in honey house and it lost its
> value.

---

Thanks Medhat

I appreciate your reminder, and am sharing it with the others

I found that a very interesting and important observation, and one which
confirmed what we have always suspected, but had not seen proven.  I was
surprised that the effect was so very obvious in your results

I remember the meeting where you were first presenting your initial results
of feeding various patties to the beekeepers involved in the study.  All the
various patty recipes  -- pollen, sugar, soy, and yeast (and one set with
BeePro instead of the yeast and soy) -- had shown similar increases in brood
(compared to control hives with no patties) but that one set of patties had
been no better than the controls.  When you asked the one beekeeper who had
*no* brood increase from feeding patties what he had done different, he said
he had made his own patties using the same yeast/soy/pollen/sugar
recipe,used in the ones made by Global that the others used, in order to
save a little cash since he had the supplies on hand.  He also said the
yeast and soy he used had been sitting in his warehouse for a while, a year
or more.  That was a huge Ah Ha! moment for all of us.

I recall that you reported that the bees ate his patties at the same rate as
the fresh patties, but that the brood production on those hives did not
differ from the controls (no patties), whereas the hives fed fresh patties
(same formula) and the BeePro patties had very positive increases in brood,
that were effectively identical to one another.

We have always known that pollen loses its attractiveness and nutrients
quickly under any storage conditions, even if freezing does greatly slow the
process, but seeing this same problem with soy and yeast stored at ambient
temperatures is another thing.  This knowledge is very important, since
oftentimes beekeepers have leftover material at the end of  the feeding
season and wind up using it the next year, or a pallet gets stuck behind
other things in the warehouse or left at a remote site and forgotten for a
year or two.  Some bee supply stores, due to low volume of sales and
unpredictability of demand, have inventory on hand for a year -- or more --
before the beekeeper buys it.

This accidental discovery you made proves how important "just in time"
delivery and careful matching of supply orders to immediate needs can be.  I
am convinced that many beekeepers, especially smaller ones, who mix up their
own feed are often unknowingly wasting money and effort, and *losing the
brood production they seek*, since at least some of their supplies have been
sitting in various hot warehouses on the way to them, and because some
product is almost always left over and used a year later.  Larger beekeepers
who buy direct from the factories are more certain to have fresh product,
however the logistics within their own operation, especially when migratory
or spread over several locations, can result in pallets of supplements and
supplies being lost in the shuffle for months and even years, or being
wasted due to changes in plans.

This loss of efficacy after storage is precisely why Global has a policy of
not keeping product or supplies on hand and longer than absolutely
necessary, irradiating for sterility to prevent bee disease and spoilage,
then refrigerating pollen until use, and also of ensuring that outgoing
truckloads of patties are distributed promptly to the end users.

I have always figured a few months of storage has negligible effect, since
the components (yeast and soy) are shipped at ambient temperature and not
marked perishable, and some time necessarily elapses in transit and
deployment, but am sure that storage longer than a few months must result in
*some* loss of efficacy, whether measurable or not.  I suspect three months
is okay, but would like proof.

Basically, I wonder how fast protein foods deteriorate at room temp.  I
imagine that some nutritional components (amino acids, vitamins) fade faster
than others, and that the presence of heat and moisture must hasten the
decline in nutritional value, but that the presence of sugar may mitigate
this somewhat.  Apparently this is the case in pollen storage, when using
alternating layers of sugar and pollen, but I really don't know.

There should be lots of detailed information available on the web, but so
far I have not found it.  Maybe your contacts in the Alberta Agriculture
Food Lab work with this all the time and can give us some details, and
guidelines?  Could you ask, or point me to the appropriate persons?

allen