Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:09:38 -0600
>   HFCS in a warm place does, and HMF can form quickly.
>
> After killing a couple hundred nucs by feeding HFCS that was stored for 2
> years in drums at 70 deg, I can confirm that Randy. Not a pretty sight.

FWIW, some time back, I sent some samples of a tank of HFCS I bought in 2002
to a noted researcher who has researched HFCS and its suitability for bees
over the past decade.

This syrup was diluted with ~10% sterile (municipal) water at the time of
delivery and has been sitting in the sun, the heat and the winter cold since
then.  At one time, the syrup was in a 1000 gallon poly tank and a few years
back, I stirred the syrup up and pumped it into the current 600-gallon poly
tank.

Here is the report:

"I had a look at your syrup samples and their did appear to be a
stratification through the tank. Interesting because in another sample I
just did ... no such stratification was found. It smelled and looked like
there was some fermentation at the top. I did not measure alcohol but the
sugar content was 51% at the top, 61% in the middle ... and 64% at the
bottom.

"In terms of "other parameters", the top was probably equivalent to the
worst samples of off-spec syrup I have ever tested, the middle was also in
what I would call the off-spec range and the bottom was not bad -- the
bottom (which had a lot of granulation in the sample you provided) would
probably be ok as a spring feed but I would not use it in winter.
(From my diary page http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/2010/diary062010.htm)