From:
Stan Umlauft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 17:20:17 -0800
Hi All:
To: [log in to unmask]

{Q}: Could I take some brood from one of the other hives and let
them make a queen?

{A}: Yes, with 16 days from egg to queen, this seems like your best bet. It's a little early to get good queens on short notice. Make shure you have ample young bees, pollen, and honey next to the young introduced brood. If you shake in extra young bees (the ones from the brood area) make shure you don't get the queen. Also smoke both colonies heavy (cool & heavy, not hot), before and after shaking to aviod fighting.
The older workers will go right back home so bee generous.

{Q}: I fear if it worked it would take to long to make, find a drone etc.

{A}: No fear, and since the Queen mates in flight out away from the hive, and you say there are other bees around, if you've had nice weather, and decent bloom there in Utah, you should have plenty of drones.
--
Best Wishes,
Stan Umlauft