From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:43:42 -0800
Greetings all,
     I hope everyones bees are as busy as mine here in St. Louis have been.  I think I got a handle on the swarming for a while.  I do have my fingers crossed.
     I have been trying to find good locations for outyards lately.  My question is, can hives be placed in the woods near nectar sources.  I am not too keen about placing the hives in fields where there will be people baling hay.  I am not worried about them disturbing the bees.  I am more concerned about the bees disturbing them.  How far from the hives can machinery like that operate without the bees accosting them?  Around here, by the time the trees leaf out, the weather is warm enough to cause the bees to be fanning. There would be little need for sunlight to warm the hives.  As far as I can see, wouldnt the bees benefit from the shade provided.  How much shade can be tolerated? Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

Scott Moser