From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:44:11 -0500
The message Aaron passed on is accurate as far as it goes.  However, it does
not begin to go far enough.

At the recent ABF meeting in Savannah, a Post Office representative
explained the new procedures/rules.  I am just about 99% certain about what
I am about to say, but it would not hurt to check with someone else who was
there and, in any case, I suspect the February issues of the magazines will
have a report.

Shipping of queens will be as it has always been.

Technically, the note from Nick is also correct.  HOWEVER, the Post Office
will no longer insure packages beyond Zone 4 of the shipper.  Effectively
this means that the purchaser will have to take the shipping risk...and
he/she would be crazy to do so!  The Post Office is adopting these new rules
because at certain times, their losses ran up to 70%!

The beekeeper's only hope, if they really want packages and live beyond Zone
4 is that the package suppliers get so desperate that they will assume the
shipping risk.  Based on the discussion in Savannah, I don't see any hope
for that.

The message is:
1. Buy local nucs if you can get them with queens produced by a professional
queen breeder.  These are far superior than any package...but BE SURE the
queens were produced by a professional and not by happenstance.
2. If you can't get the above, buy packages trucked north by a supplier such
as Betterbee, B & B, etc.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.