From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 08:17:42 -0500
James Fischer wrote:

>SCENARIO 1 - "Feed The Hungry US Bees"
>
>  In "Section 322.33", these proposed rules address the importation of "Honey For Bee Feed",
>  and require nothing more than certification by the shipper/exporter that the honey was:
>
>        "Heated to 212 F (100 C) for 30 minutes"
>
>  Yeah, suuuure.... that's the ticket!
>   "Bee feed"...
>   Several hundred metric tons of "bee feed"...
>   Uh huh.

Even if it were not laced with interesting foreign substances, by
heating it for so long it would not be good for feeding bees, especially
overwintering bees. So you end up with the worst of both possible
worlds- contaminated honey and overheated honey, both bad for bees.

I am not even sure that the 30 minutes of boiling will kill some of the
pathogens that might be present. Pressure cooking is usually required to
be truly safe since it results in a higher temp. So make it the worst of
three possible worlds.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me