From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:06:59 -0500
Hello Jerry & All,
I was in Atlanta last week. Very hot!

Bob,

What is the average time frame that adult SHB live away from  the hive?

Not sure but after speaking with L. Cutts and David W. (Florida) it seems
the case that SHB spend most their time away from the hive. L.Cutts said his
team stopped counting at around 8,000 *adult* SHB in a weak hive being
infested.

Once the hive starts getting slimed (for lack of a better word but fits
nicely) other SHB hone in quickly.

One hypthesis is all the SHB in the yard fly to the problem hive. Also from
up to five miles away. Researchers have said at meetings that the SHB can
locate a hive from five miles away.

>  I  have a beekeeper friend that lives near our state farmer's market who
reports SHB reproduce on rotting fruit in the dumpsters,

Documentation of SHB reproducing in cantaloupes exists. Not sure of other
fruit.

In the fall of 1998 Horace Bell of DeLand, Florida was seeing his first SHB
problems. I drove to his location to see the new pest myself. One important
fact I learned was when observed in an observation hive at his place the SHB
caused the bees little problems but when Horace shook the OB hive the SHB
started laying eggs all over the place.

When threatened the first response is to lay eggs.

In the yard of the bee farm the Florida bee inspection people were catching
a swarm in a live oak tree. We learned from their research that SHB will fly
in a swarm of bees.

Since then I have observed SHB ( and SHB problems)  in many states.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Midwest

--