From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:59:08 -0900
Hi Mike,

>When you punch out the cells, how much of the back side of the desired (punched) cell is available?

I do not punch out the cells, I cut out rows of cells with Larvae in them, attach the row of cells to the bar, and eliminate two larvae and leave one progressively along the row of cells. This process is wrote about in detail in Jay Smith's book.

> Is there enough that you could use that in a wedge top bar, wedging the wax material from the backside in the wedge to hold it to the top bar?

I use comb that is new, sometime the first time laid in or only one cycle of brood used in them and this comb is very fragile but this fragility allows to workers to chew it down and actually create a queen cup to a size they prefer. I do not think the comb, but maybe it could, withstand this treatment. This is also wrote of in detail in Jay Smith's book. It allows the bees to do their best developing queens more or less on their terms. This is why I like the method most.

Jay Smith with his experience and observation ability was really thinking when he ultimately decided to use this technique. Read the book, I have no doubt that most will be impressed by this technique. It does not take long to read, it is an easy read, written in the first person and filled with his persona.

I always Bcc the author of the message I respond to because I never know if my messages will be approved or not, so wait a bit to respond so moderators can have a chance to post the communication. Sorry for the redundancy, I see no other way to get around the moderation and still not waste my time responding. I know some probably have my email address deleted from their inbox so it will not appear in their inbox but I know there are those that appreciate hearing from me just as I appreciate all messages I get in my inbox for learning ability.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA