From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:04:16 -0400
On 31-Jul-08, at 8:45 PM, Bill Lord wrote:

> Any, and I mean ANY help or ideas appreciated

Hi Bill and all

I love this topic because my family and I lived in northwest Nigeria
for 2 years.  African peoples are very resourceful and can do so much
with so little.  We didn't have any beekeepers near us but lots of
honey bees.  Normal honey collection was from wild hives and was very
destructive to both the hive and the quality of the honey.  The use
of TBH would be an improvement.  I have thought that a TBH would be a
perfect match for comb honey production.  The problem is that
convincing customers to try comb honey is not easy.  Western rural
societies used comb honey almost exclusively in the early 20th
century because extractors were not locally available or too
expensive as in Africa today.  Why not try encouraging local
consumption of comb honey while working on cleaning up the extracted
honey.  In the end you will have two quality products in demand.  My
comb honey sales increase every year as people try it or find out
that I have it available.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W
formally New Bussa, Niger State, Nigeria, West Africa, 10N5E