From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2017 20:11:53 -0500
On 7-Dec-17, at 1:03 PM, Paul Hosticka wrote:

> Reading Jerry's methods I agree with almost all believing that we
> are in a similar climate. We probably get a good deal less wind at
> least in my winter location. I do not doubt that a black wrap has
> some benefit but in my experience with very low overall loss and no
> observable difference between wrap and unwrap I don't think it is
> worth the effort. I like inner covers and telescoping lids for
> several reasons. I make my own inners from 3/8" plywood with a 1"
> rim and a 2 1/2 dia. hole in the center. The thick plywood does not
> sag and supports the gallon bucket feeders I use inverted over the
> hole. The extra thick rim provides room for my formic mite-wipes and
> a sub patty. The telescoping lid I believe provides superior winter
> water/wind protection as well as summer heat protection. I sometimes
> get melted honey frames under migratory lids in 105 degree temps,
> not so with telescoping/inner.

Hi Paul & All

There have been several great posts, on this thread, with lots of
ideas from Alabama to California to Washington to Alberta to the
Northeast on both sides of the border and lots in between.  The most
obvious thing about these places is that their climates have literally
nothing in common.  I live in an area in south central Ontario dubbed
'Headwaters' because it is  the source of five major Ontario river
systems flowing to Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake
Ontario.  Another feature of the 'Headwaters' area is its
elevation(almost 1800 ft) which others would say is just a pimple but
it is 1550 feet higher than lake Ontario less than 60 miles away.  The
weather in the 'Headwaters' area has been described as horizontal
because the wind almost never stops.  I think that there must be a
heap of snow somewhere southeast where the snow that blows past here
finally comes to rest.  Probably Vermont, New Hampshire or somewhere
else down there.  Because of the wind, black hive covers of various
manufacture including the old standard tarpaper are use almost
universally here.  I use slip on coreplast covers similar to the old
cardboard covers but made of the same material used in real estate for
sale signs and although it provides little in the way of insulation it
is impervious to water and wind.  With the top entrance cut into the
rim of the inner cover the moisture leaving the hive condenses/freezes
on the inside of the cover, melting & running to the ground when the
sun warms the black cover.  In addition to the thicker  plywood
suggested by Paul I don't have verandas on my bottom boards so that
the cover drops down to the hive stand protecting both top & bottom
entrances and eliminating the need to tip the hive forward because
there is no veranda to catch the rain & snow.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W