From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 12:35:58 -0400
I know from limited experience that mean bees can make mean swarms, but
that different weather also makes a big difference.  I've picked up 3 so
far this year.  One on the high school track.  The day before I picked it
up the swarm my school called another beekeeper who apparently got stung a
bunch of times and failed to retrieve it, but a storm was rolling in, so
I'm guessing either it wasn't done well or more likely they were irritable
because of the weather as several people were stung before he showed up.
When I picked them up the next day they were extremely nice (and so was the
weather), and have since been extremely happy with them, one of the most
docile hives I've had in a while and drawing comb very nicely.  Next one
was smaller and also docile.  Then my "hot" hive swarmed just before I
split it.  Meanest swarm I've ever dealt with (admittedly I have limited
experience).  I moved them after dark and the next day they were vicious
(worse than normal).  Then for better or for worse they took off (I didn't
move them far enough apparently, guess I figured having them walk into
their new home would be enough since I didn't have an isolated spot to
place them in the meantime).  I'm curious if other people have had similar
experience with weather.