From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 07:58:40 -0700
> Also, I used to pre-select by putting a piece of tissue

> paper in a hive and looked for the hives that took it out within 24
> hours.   Is this a useful and valid indicator?

When we first got varroa, I hoped that removal of paper would be an easy
proxy for mite resistance.  I did not find it to be so.

Before Jerry came up with liquid nitrogen, I had excellent success with
breeding for AFB-resistant bees by using the cut and frozen comb squares.
 I do not doubt that liquid nitrogen is an improvement.

But every selection process means that you are discarding those that do not
pass your arbitrary "test."  I suggest that one keep that very much in
mind--it is easy to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

A better question, Bill, might be to ask exactly what you really want to
select for?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA