From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:16:38 +1200
        On the "alarming" behaviour of capensis, given that its readiness
to lay "female" eggs is presumably only the start of its unusual
characteristics, it strikes me on general biological grounds that we are
nearing the end of current useful theoretical discussion.
        I'm all for continuing theorising, and am much impressed with ideas
we've had recently Out Of Africa and elsewhere.  But what is most urgently
needed is actual experimentation in controlled breeding.  Hypotheses will
have to be formed to guide the experiments and to compare with the
outcomes, but surely it's empirical fact that we're after now.  What
characteristics would be expected from which hybrids?  Which other
unexpected properties should be monitored (taking note of the variability
which I mentioned a few days ago)?  I mean not to suggest such q's aren't
obvious but to point out how neglected they are in official agencies which
are starved for resources to look into them.

        This leads me to suggest that actual bee science is in a dire
drought.  Govt research stations are being screwed down, in the USA and
here.  The practical response of the NZ govt to the discovery of varroa
here in April 2000 has been pretty pathetic.  Real scientists, technicians,
operating expenses, travel to confabs in S. Africa, etc, are starved while
the govt pours millions into ideological or plain stupid capers in other
fields.    The known ecological and economic significance of bees is so
enormous that it warrants  MANY  TIMES  the current effort in
cross-breeding strains of bee and recording the empirical facts on the
progeny.
        What should be organised is an international team of experts to
plan and implement breeding programmes including capensis.  If the world
were not gone crazy on Mammon, as manifested in the WTO and other agencies,
govts would have this in hand.  Where can the organising focus be found
today for such urgent bee research?

-
Robt Mann
consultant ecologist
P O Box 28878   Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand
                (9) 524 2949