Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 23:23:43 -0600
>> >I sure get tired of all the hubub about protein content.  Protein
>> >content does not tell anything very much IMO.

> ... in animal feeds in general, the number one denominator of cost and
> value is generally protein content. ...Of course, as you state, the
> protein must be "complete" for the species in question.  deGroot's
> research indicates that a complete protein for bees matches that for
> mammals ... For other factors, bees
> are very different from humans.  For bees, ascorbic acid is not a vitamin,
> but cholesterol is.  Salt (sodium chloride) is also toxic to them at
> levels
> that humans would find tasty.

That bears repeating.  What some people decide to feed their bees makes me
wince.  We know that some things benefit the bees with no discernable ill
effects.

Additionally, who cares what the "exact" protein level is, give or take a
few percentage points, especially when ther is a natural variation in
ingredients like pollen?  As long as it is within a band of acceptability,
that is not an issue.  Studies have apparently determiend there is a fairly
wide band of protein concentrations within which results are OK and outside
of which results taper off.

What really counts is results per dollar, and protein content is only a
very, very rough guide in that regard, and only when considered in
conjunction with cost and consumption rates.  For that matter, we are not
sure that there is any linear relationship between consumption and results,
whatever they might be expected to be, and we also know that there are some
protein feeds which, if you believed the label protein levels, are not very
effective.

I really wonder what people are thinking.  Seems to me that at some point, a
diet must be good enough.  There has to be a point at which the diet cannot
be improved-- especially when we do not know what the other half  -- the
natural portion -- is.  Once the bees are properly nourished, how can they
be fed any better.  Are we to put superchargers on them?

There is a huge difference between caged bees in experiments and the
free-foraging bees we manage.  In the former case, researchers must give
bees a complete diet if we want them to survive, but in the real world, the
bees are getting lots of things we cannot predict with any accuracy, so we
are merely backstopping the natural diet on cold and windy days and
augmenting inferior pollens with a more complete amino acid profile.

When I read the numerous articles of the sort that can be found here:
http://www.beesource.com/resources/usda/supplemental-feeding-of-honey-bee-colonies/ ,
I'm not sure that we did not reach that point of "close enough" years ago,
and that the problems today and confusion about feeding results are not
simply those of ingredient quality and freshness.  Fresheness is
particularly where beekeepers are making up their own diets of material they
are able to source reasonably close and at reasonable cost and may have to
compromise, often without knowing.

It has been demonstrated beyond a doubt that stale ingredients can -- beyond
being uneffective in promoting growth and health -- actually be harmful, and
that ingredients deteriorate within months under some potentially normal
conditions of storage, especially in the south.

I wonder how much beekeepers think they can save when they have to buy
supplies in partial loads from suppliers who are unimpressed by the small
amount of business they bring, and then find they have too much of this and
too little of that and the mix is too stiff or too slack...  It seems to me
that the large volume supplement/substitute outfits produce a superior
product and it is as fresh as fresh can be -- assuming the beekeeper is
sharp and ensures the product he buys has not sat in a warehouse for a year
or more. (it happens).

People talk as if there is no limit to how far we can push bees.  If someone
feeds a diet that results in demonstable great health and wintering as well
as increased sealed brood, it seems that someone else immediately claims
that he can beat that, and comes up with some interesting story.

Actually proving anything, especially more than once, as you know, is very
difficult.

> Ditto with your "friend's" cat food.  Protein is higher than dog food,
> which is why it costs more.  But not sure about the high sodium, low
> potassium, and ground corn.

That is why I am sceptical.

>>Because bees will eat anything if you add enough sugar I don't know about
>>cats.

> Since you "asked," cats don't have taste buds for sugar.  Dogs do.  That's
> why cats don't beg for sweets.

I was trying to be funny.