From:
Ellen Anglin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:57:22 -0700
 I am trying out three brood chambers this year for several reasons;
1.  I have had too many queens who wnt to move up into the honey supers- brood in the honey area is a pain, and I havent been altogether happy with queen excluders either.
2. For the last three winters, I have ended up feeding sugar or fondant to the bees in february or march, no matter how full I try to get the bodies with honey and syrup in September and October.
3. More space, so less chance of crowding and swarming.
4. I have reduced the number of hives I am managing, and had the equipment handy to give each hive another "story"  so the experament isn't costing me anything extra in equipment.
Maybe with the extra body, the queen won't move up during the summer, and perhaps I won't have to haul sugar across the snow in February.   Maybe.  I hope!
Ellen in Michigan
  Brad Young <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Has anyone else used three deep hive bodies for brood? Does it have any
merit? Can a queen fill all three deep hive bodies before she would have
had room back in the one that she started in