From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 00:32:39 -0400
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:37:36 -0400, Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>For reasons that have been enumerated on this list, organic beekeeping
>in the US has drifted over the edge. It is not sustainable unless you
>   bend the rules.

IMO, in the market place, organic honey is irrelevant. At least in my market place where we have an
extremely strong natural food coop presence, local raw honey outsells organic by a huge factor. Most
people involved with the food scene have moved passed the little green label to the "Eat Local"
concept. Issues of fuel usage, emissions and preserving traditional uses of nearby land drive some of
the thinking behind this concept. With the increased cost of fuel and increased incidents of food
borne illnesses that come from massive centralized food chains, the eat local idea makes more sense
every day.  I think the environment for selling your honey locally if you live near large population
centers is a growing opportunity.