From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:00:18 -0400
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:47:02 -0500, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I will repeat one rumor. He said the talk in the over winter Texas locations
>is beekeepers with CCD losses *might* collect up to $35 per hive. >

Sounds like a free for all if that becomes reality since any beekeeper can probably round up some
empty hive bodies with comb. I wonder what the perequiste would be to claim a CCD loss? Inclusion
of your state on the now world famous CCD map?

Here in Mn we have no apiary program and hence no state record of hive numbers etc so how would
someone qualify?

Hey why not send any beekeeper a check as long as they have a business card or void business check
indicating they are in business?  or better yet start a USDA beekeeper supplemental income program
like the corn and bean farmers get and most of them drive $400K tractors and new pickups. The feds
subsidize so many questionable programs already why not subsidize a segment of agriculture that
really has a history of problems. I'm sure we would see an increase in keepers and hives if the $$ is
right.