From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2017 18:14:01 -0700
>It is an interesting thought process you and Jim allude to with the advent
of "super weeds" or  Continual needs for new Chems....
What is the option?  Are we to assume dropping chems in favor of some other
form with lower yields is a better option than using stuff than may have a
short life?

The problem is that invertebrate and plant life can evolve fairly quickly.
Evolution of "safe" chemicals is beginning to slow down.  Pesticides have
had their glory days since WWII, and now things are starting to change.

Growers have been sloppy with pest resistance management--often applying
the same chemicals over and over without rotating in other modes of
action.  They're sometimes sloppy with refuge planting to slow insect
resistance.  And some haven't diversified plantings or even rotated crops
enough.  And they may plant cultivars for yield alone, rather than pest
resistance, and often plant monocultures of one single cultivar (rather
than mixing cultivars).

All the above lead to quicker development of resistant pests, and demand
for new chemicals.

Currently, no till is difficult without herbicides.  I've searched for demo
projects, but there are few that I can find.  I'll be interested to see
what Jon Lundgren of Blue Dasher Farm comes up with (I've donated seriously
to his project).  Glyphosate was considered a "once in a hundred years"
miracle herbicide--it will be difficult to replace.

The point is, agriculture will need to continue to evolve.  The consumer
will dictate the direction.  The large buyers have well-thought out
sustainability programs in place, and will heed consumer demand.

All the chemical companies are aware of future directions--they are all
toward agroecological practices (biology-based, rather than the arbitrary
restrictions of "organic").  Newer products will be more eco-friendly.
Precision breeding will become widely accepted.  It's just a matter of time
and adjustment.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA