From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:28:52 -0400
Hi all

Often when removing the outer cover on a hive, I disturb large black
ants ( usually 50-100 so it’s not their nest) on the inner cover.
They scurry around each carrying an egg trying to find someplace to
hide out of the light. They don’t seem to be doing anything to the
hive or bees, likely it’s a warm place to hatch the eggs.  They do,
however, disturb the hive if some drop into the hive or escape down
the front of the hive where they approach the hive entrance, when the
inner cover is removed.

I checked the archives and found several mentions of the same problem
along with some suggested chemical solutions.  I don't want to use
pesticides near my bees, but would like to understand why ants would
leave their nest with eggs to end up on top of a beehive.  Any ant
experts out there?

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada