From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:57:55 +0000
Hi Randy

Sorry for delay...

> European bee may have some old
> African genes in the back closet, which could be selected for to breed
> for the pest resistance that scutellata demonstrates.

One of the reasons that European bees are so called is that the races
that are now considered to be European, do not exhibit certain gene
combinations that would be present in the original African ancestors.

It is the loss of these specific combinations (probably by bottle
necking) that have caused the differences by which we recognise the
races as actually different.

So what I am saying is those genes that you seek for pest resistance may
well not exist in the European types.

That does not preclude their ability to be absorbed back into European
types, but when you do that, you will no longer have Europeans, but
African Hybrids.

Scutellata is a modern race that itself was derived from an African
ancestor.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://www.dave-cushman.net (http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman)
Short FallBack M/c, Build 7.01/2.01