Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 15:36:14 GMT+0200
Hi All/John

First a happy Xmas to all!

John asked whether I could ask my hippie friend to try and put some
cannabis in a smoker sometime and see what it does to bees/evertying
else nearby.

I personally know places where cannabis grows wild nearby here, but
would not be willing to risk accidentally zapping myself in the
proccess or getting zapped by narcs as well.

It is interesting to note however that the olnly reasonn the plant
actually wastes valuable energy on making cannabinols is to protect
itself from isects, producing a neurotoxin that damages
co-ordination.

In real life, on only has to either try/ look at other who use
cannabis to discover it can have a extremely demotivating effect -
would it have that on the bees too? THC is fat soluble so would also
impregnate in the wax.

I have heard of a umber of other things people put in their
smokers though. Local Xhosas use sneezewood chips placed in a burlap
bag as a smoker fuel - this makes bees completely passive. Sneezewood
is a hard, wax impregnated wood that does not rot. It is toxic to
bugs, fungi and so on because of the wax. People have in the past
used it to make ballbearings for mills. People also use rubber tyres
in zimbabwe, and I have heard of other things, like placing a
cigarette in the smoker that purportedly calm the bees.

Anybody else heard of funny smoker fuels that defy common sense?

On the topic of bees and drugs: I read of an experiment where people
adminnistered a number of different drugs to spiders. (since made
famous by cartoon artists) The idea being that a spider can tell you
a bit about how it feels by its web. Methamphetaminne produces a neat
and ective web, cannabis a sketchy useless web, LSD a rather artistic
multidimensional web and so on.

Imagine a beehive under the same conditions!!

Keep well

Garth
---
Garth Cambray       Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

On holiday for a few months     Rhodes University
Which means: working with bees 15 hours a day!
Interests: Fliis and bees
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.