From:
Rebecca Zens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:38:56 -0400
I have a few questions. How well does thymolated syrup work for nosema?
My husband, Jon, is wondering and I’ve found a little information about it and
looked in the BEE-L archives, but I feel like I'm running in circles as far as
finding new available information. He is also wondering does the feed affect
brood negatively at all (it looked like "No" as far as adult bees were concerned
but brood doesn’t seem to be mentioned usually)? What have people seen this
year? Have you been able to bring spore counts down?
     Every time we check our colonies for Nosema, they are high. Obviously we
want to try to get it under control so they don't crash next spring or over the
winter, due to weakened immunity. We thought the Nosevit was working, and
we've also tried fumagilin, but now we seem to be at an impasse. Jon keeps
asking me questions, but I'm still only an undergrad student, so I just don't
have the knowledge yet to answer them effectively. For ALL of my classes, I
can see the potential of how they will be extremely useful tools WHEN I'M
DONE, but he needs answers NOW and I just don't have them.

Thanks
Rebecca Zens