From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:09:26 -0400
Perhaps the UK's carpenter bees are less damaging to structures than those
in the US?  Just as your nectar flow and "best" hive strength differ.  The
carpenter bees that have from time to time inhabited my deck make new
tunnels each year, evidenced by the large sawdust piles under their holes in
the spring.  Since I was not poisoning the holes, that was not a cause of
their tunneling.  Left unchecked, they can seriously affect the integrity of
a structure.

However, it is only slightly more trouble to close up their holes when not
in use and treat the wood to discourage their return -- they are welcome to
tunnel tin any of the trees around, just not the railings that keep us from
falling from the deck.

In other locations, I've seen them become a real pest, buzzing people coming
in and out of downstairs apartments.  No real danger from the bees, but
anxiety can cause it's own damage.

Karen Oland