From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:11:59 -0600
Hello Jim & All,
At least two BEE=L commercial beekeepers use scales to weigh hives for
various reasons. Michael Palmer and myself. Maybe Michael Palmer will
comment?

We both use scales sold for weighing packages and sold by Grainger. Michael
has explained his method on the "other" list but I don't believe so on
BEE=L.

I use the Grainger HD 400 pound scale with remote electronic reader (9 foot
cord). I think Michael uses the mechanical Grainger scale. I am not sure but
looked like the mechanical Grainger scale from the website photos.

I sit the scale on a piece of plywood larger than the scale. I made a top
piece of plywood which is held in place on the scale by a wood rim.
I use the tool sold by Mann Lake for moving hives around to simply lift the
hive off the pallet and place the hive on the scale. Takes about 3 minutes
to weigh a hive. I mark the weight on the hive.

I try to get the weight to around 120 pounds and up for hives (includes the
weight of two deep boxes, bees and a migratory top) for Missouri winter.

I think Michael shoots for 150-160 pounds for his area. Michael is in a much
colder area than I am. 60 pounds of stored honey will take the bees through
a *normal* Missouri winter.

The scale can also be used quickly to check daily weight gains on hives. The
scale and plywood boards fit in a truck box and the hive moving tool is on
the truck most of the time.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--