From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 09:37:11 EST
In a message dated 2/4/00 1:00:23 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I've been getting reports of severe losses in the northeastern US.  How
are you guys doing?>>

    The upshot of the Northeast's ongoing severe cold weather is that the
population of insects whose queens winter over in the soil is going to be
heavily suppressed  this summer. That includes wasps, hornets and the evil
yellow jackets.
    The wasps will be suppressed because of the way this cold snap has frozen
the soil. I talked to a plumber who confirmed what has been reported in local
newscasts — there have been a greater number of bursting pipe incidents than
has been seen around here in a long time. Usually when it gets this cold,
there is a layer of snow on the ground to insulate the soil from the cold, he
said. There hasn't been very much snow, so the ground has frozen deeper, and
everything along with it, like the pipes and the yellowjacket queens. I
understand the Southeast has been getting some colder-than-usual weather so
it may be true for beekeepers there, too.
    WIth fewer yellowjackets, we should see a reduced number of so-called
"bee stings" — when yellowjackets sting people and honey bees get the blame.
    So for those colonies that do make it through, and for the beekeepers
that manage them, this summer may be a little more pleasant than the last one.
    I would also guess that this weather is going to severely effect any
feral hives out there, so there may be reduced likihood of feral hives
reinfesting managed colonies with mites.