From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 20:31:26 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Aaron Morris
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Now it's been passed on that some have
>asserted it might be as simple as a matter of chance based on length of time
>a cell is uncapped; the longer the barn door is open the more likely it is
>that the horse will leave (or in this case enter).
And on the Irish List (Norman Carreck) suggested that the number of
visits made to feed the grubs would explain results where workers in
smaller cells had less varroa than those in larger cells in the same
colony.

I was "taught" (in the early days) that the pH of drone brood just
before capping is different to that of workers (high pollen content).
(Is this so - anyone?) This would presumably change the smell. Smell
would be a simple way of differentiating and explain how each (bees and
varroa) could accommodate the other as they evolved. Bees which
attracted varroa into worker cells would tend die out (numbers) and
varroa which let themselves be led into worker cells would tend to die
out. So cerana is OK. (Is this speculation OK for this list???) If it
were just time open/feeds there would still be a calculable proportion
going into worker cells.
>Based on the assertions and observations posted in the past few days I must
>back off my assertion that Varroa will not be found in queen cells.
Dick Allen's post about 2 new queens that had started to lay and then
were lost hints that such queens may well be vulnerable. This implies a
lowered success rate in rearing queens. Has anyone noticed this?
>  I've
>never seen it myself, but then again I've never seen France.
Wonderful country.
--
James Kilty