From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:06:14 -0400
>Those beekeepers using Apiguard for varroa are also getting some protection for tracheal... I hear of more and more beekeepers using thymol in syrup for preventative varroa treatment. This more recent study below gives some credence to this practice. While the study did not look at tracheal one could infer from the apiguard claims that feeding thymol in syrup may also be beneficial to prevent tracheal infestations.

Interesting points.

In private discussion with a noted researcher, I am told,

"...tracheal mites have become rather rare here, even in documented highly susceptible colonies.  The reason for this rarity is a bit puzzling.  Some of us think that the use of amitraz (and to a lesser degree oxalic and formic acid) for varroa may have something to do with it.  I still think I can generate a good infection if I have exposure to mites, miticide-free equipment, susceptible bees and favorable (for
mites) climate and weather."

>These treatments though would just prolong the susceptible lines and I like Mike Palmers approach of grafting from survivors as a better solution.

Yes.  That is true and is a an excellent option where it is practical, but that option is dependant on location, skill, and other factors.

However, where bees are in commercial service and will be requeened regularly from commercial stocks produced elsewhere -- which is the case for the vast majority of hives -- the only benefit of forgoing treatment would be to neighbours, if any, who are attempting to raise their own stock.

On the other hand the consequences of forgoing treatments can be immediate and negative for the owner of the bees and the resulting ballooning of pest populations can also be a nuisance to neighbours as well.

Some might argue againt the movement of bees or commercial beekeeping, but that is not going to happen soon.  We have to deal with reality however it may happen to be.

Although many beekeepers, including some of the very largest, do raise some or all their own stock, this is not the rule, and often stock is purchased on the spur of the moment, so the best solution for that case is to make sure the mass queen producers are paying attention to the need for resitance to multiple problems.

Apparently -- for whatever reasons -- many are not.