From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:11:27 -0700
Bob said >  I recommend both miteaway 2 & apigard

Me too, Bob.  I've used Apiguard extensively this year.  The temps are
finally getting low enough for me to use Miteaway on those colonies
that still had uncomfortable mite levels.

Both products are well designed, but both have the problem of
temperature issues--for me, it is high temps.  It appears that you can
get around the problem with Apiguard by applying only 25g in the
middle of the broodnest, where the bees keep it cooler.

We were able to get Apiguard into some colonies early this summer
between flows, and that appears to have really set back the mites--two
doses about 10 days apart.  I need to see if it flavored the honey
(haven't extracted that honey yet).

As far as higher temps with the formic pads, colony strength appears
to be a big issue.  Strong colonies can handle a lot.  Putting a
second lid on top of the colony for shade also appears to help in hot
weather, but I soon run out of extra lids.

This is all a learning curve for me--I sure appreciate hearing Bob's
and others' experiences.

Randy Oliver