From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 17:20:41 -0000
Interesting wording:

> there is no doubt, that a substantial part of the presently marketed honey
> contains residues of antibiotics.

'Marketed' - not 'produced'.

>Twenty to 50% of the honey, imported in France (Morlot and Beaune, 2003),
>Belgium (Reybroeck, 2003) and Switzerland (Bogdanov and Fluri, 2000)
>contained antibiotics

'Imported' - not 'produced'.

>On the other hand, honey produced in Switzerland (Bogdanov and Fluri,
>2000), Belgium (Reybroeck, 2003) and Germany (Wallner, 2003) had a lower
>residue level, varying from 1 to 7%.

Here the word 'produced' is used.

> For Italian honey contradictory results have been reported. In one
> publications about 5% of the samples were reported to contain tetracycline
> (Sabatini et al., 2003), while according to another 50% of the Italian
> samples contained the same antibiotic (Tantillo et al., 2000). A recent
> publication reported that 2 to 7% of the Italian honey samples tested
> contained sulfonamides, tetracycline or tylosin (Baggio et al., 2004).

No indication of the origins of the various samples!

I take the point that regulations and actual use by beekeepers are not the
same, but I suspect that, in general, the use in America is many, many times
that in Europe.

Probably safest to eat English honey - the inspection system allows samples
to be taken from beekeepers at any time; I do not know anyone who uses
antibiotics.  Why would they?  AFB is burned and has an extremely low
occurence; EFB can be burned or shook-swarmed, which has be shown to be far
more effective than using antibiotics.

Best wishes

Peter
52.194546, -1.673618