From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:15:45 -0700
Paul Cherubini wrote:

> Robert Mann wrote:
>
> > The Cornell experiments by Losey et al. showed monarch
> > butterfly larvae severely poisoned by Bt corn pollen.
>
> The Cornell study was not representative of actual field conditions.
> Subsequent field studies to date has found Bt corn pollen does
> not harm non-target butterfly larvae in real world field situations.
>
> This is what the biotech industry expected since the concentration
> of the crystalline endotoxin in Bt corn pollen is extremely low and
> incapable of controlling even the target lepidopterans (e.g.the european corn
> borer moth) For example, in Monsanto's Bt corn, (called MON 810)
> 1994 field data demonstrated expression levels of
>
> 0.18-0.39 ug/g in the kernal
> 7.93 -10.34 ug/g in the leaf
> 3.65-4.65 ug/g in the whole plant
> 0.09 ug/g in the pollen

Hello Paul and All,
 We do have some known in the studies that the Biotech industry published.
 I look at the larger picture. The unknowns are too great and the complexity of
nature is still out of reach from Man.We only find pieces of the puzzle and we
spend
a lot of time and energy trying to put them together.
 There is very little to argue or debate.Look at the real track record in
improving
agriculture through chemistry.Short term always looks good, then comes the side
affects, the soil becomes out of balance and the problem shifts to other
corrections needed.The problem with GM is that stakes are much higher. Not just
dead soil.It has the potential to run out of control and we will not have the
switch to turn it off. Like DDT. After 30 years of no use the environment was
mostly cleaned up.
 I love science.Reseachers are a very important part of  progress. The quality
and completeness of studies and tests is the bottom line. We have a lot to learn
about nature.Our environment needs to be protected from those  that lack a
complete understanding of what they are releasing into nature.It is not an
option.
 Walking slow and smelling the flowers is needed. Biotech has a place and we will
gain knowledge from there work.There Human and make mistakes like all of us. It
is good to question things that can affect all of us.We are all on the same
planet.
Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck