Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 18:04:27 GMT
>>...do you think there would be any benefit from having frames that turn the foundation sideways, so that the long dimension runs up and down instead of side to side?

Do you mean transposing the width with the length of standard foundation?  Dadant uses the modified aspect ratio from what I understand iaw with your thought.

From what I have seen in feral nests, the narrow but tall colonies do better than wide and low colonies.  Strong colonies pretty much will handle equally well any aspect ratio cavity but the median and weaker colonies benefit from tall, continuous combs in better overwintering and spring build up.

Waldemar

PS.  I have no experience with Dadant hives.  It occurred to me that inspecting Dadant frames might be less than optimum (extra heavy, greater possibility of rolling the queen when lifting frames out...).