From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:33:40 -0000
Greetings all,
     Thank you for your suggestions and ideas concerning vandalism solutions.  It is unfortunate that we have to live in a society where these things happen, and would be a topic of concern.  What bothered me worse than anything is that the bees are trying hard to come out of a winter, though mild it has been here, to such a stress at this time of year.  As in all animals, stress takes it's toll.  Most of the dislodged and cold bees appeared to make it back into the hive when the afternoon warmed up, and it appeared that loss may have been light.  I guess a good thing was it is a strong hive that still had plenty of stores available.  My concern now is loss or damage of the queen.  Only  time will tell now.
     I took a multiple approach to solve the problem.  I installed 4 strands of non-electric barbed wire, and a temporary motion detector light.  In addition, I insulated the doghouse so the dog can spend more nights outside.  I also reported it to the sherriffs department.  Hopefully this will deter any further problems.  Again, thanks for your help and concern!

Scott Moser