From:
Greg J Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:00:53 EDT
Scott,
Several weeks one of my hives had a Queen that just "stopped laying" as
you described.  I questioned the list about this but did not get any
consistent replies.
In my case I saw the queen so I was sure she was present. And while my
other queens had slowed down their laying, they were still producing
eggs. I waited about 2 weeks and checked again, still no eggs or brood,
so I added a frame of brood and a queen from an observation hive I had.
After  about 10 days I checked again, the new queen was gone, the old
queen still present and still no eggs or brood. I also noticed some
supercedure cells on the frame I had added. I decided the old queen was
no good and ordered a new queen. A week ago I opened the hive, located
the old queen and a newly hatched virgin queen and crushed them both to
the new queens cage and placed the cage into the hive. Yesterday I
checked and found the new queen present, accepted and laying a nice small
brood pattern. I hope this helps.

Greg Z
Mystic, CT