From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2011 09:36:50 -0400
> I'm guessing that the chemicals were used according to label and at times when the supers were off the hives.  Dearths can occur at various times in different regions and different seasons.  Some locales have no honey flow in mid-summer and early fall.

And I'm guessing that this steady stream of syrup and chems leaves quite a bit of chemical laced syrup in the hives.

> Thanks, pete,  for giving us the the title word-for-word so the study was easy to find.  A reminder, though: writers are requested to provide *both title and URL* when posting comments about web-accessible material to BEE-L. This is to encourage members to read the study before commenting.

While I agree in principle, experience teaches that hardly anyone reads this stuff. Be that as it may, it is quite clear from the study that despite the "best management practices" employed by the beekeepers, that viruses and pathogens remain an issue.

My posts are usually intended to spur discussion, without launching into extended editorializing. Sometimes a discussion ensues, usually there are as few oblique potshots and then folks move on. I agree with you that there is a lot more in this paper than that. I encourage anyone who has time to read it.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0020656