From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:01:04 -0400
Hi everyone,

I definitely disagree with the way circles of small cell advocates
have "hijacked" the word organic, but that's not to say I like the new
national organic standards either.  A heartless, legalistic adherence -- at
least when inspectors are watching -- to the least common denominator is
not my idea of organic agriculture.

I think it's preposterous, however, to suggest that small cell is the only
method of organic mite control, or to lead new beekeepers to believe that
they have to use small cell if they want to keep bees organically.  Or to
treat it as scientific fact that large cell is the cause of varroa problems
or that small cell is the cure.  This has very clearly been my impression,
and I'm willing to bet others on this list will back me up on this.  That's
what I mean by hijacking the word organic.  Whatever the claims of small
cell, there are very legitimate voices (that are also organic) either
denying or seriously downplaying the claims of small cell, and to pretend
otherwise is dishonest and manipulative.

On another note, I think it's also preposterous to say that I can't use any
substance at all for mite control if I want to make organic claims.  I sell
other certifiably organic products (vegetables, fruits, eggs, meat,
grains), and so I have a pretty decent knowledge of organic practice in
those areas.  In none of those areas have I ever heard the claim that to be
organic a grower must use no substances whatsoever for disease/pest
control.  Organic growers use things like human hair for deer control,
garlic for beetle control, hot pepper for controlling other small critters,
as well as some potentially more objectionable things.  Why should things
comparable to human hair and garlic not be allowed in organic beekeeping?
What's un-organic about that?

If organic beekeeping is to be completely substance-free shouldn't we stop
blowing smoke in our hives?  It's fine if someone wants to keep bees blind-
folded while bouncing on a pogo-stick, but labeling my honey as less
organic because I don't pogo is effectively slander.  Of course, "substance-
free" sounds good, but to say or imply that "substance-free" honey is
somehow more organic is to say that there's something wrong with every
single substance.  That's nonsense that can only be a disservice to the
world of beekeeping.

I'm definitely not trying to lay these accusations on Joe or Keith, in
particular, but I think these things are definitely coming out of small
cell circles in no minor way.

Eric